The Michigan Federation of Music Clubs Archives are located at the
Michigan History Center, 702 West Kalamazoo Street, Lansing, MI 48915
A Brief History…
The National Federation of Music Clubs
In 1893 the first national assemblage of Women’s Amateur Musical Clubs met for a four day festival at the World’s Colombian Exposition in Chicago. In June of 1897 a temporary organization committee was formed. An invitation issued at the time of Music Teachers National Association meeting to “all members of music clubs and friends interested in organizing a National Federation of Music Clubs.” A nominating committee was appointed to bring a slate at the next meeting to be held in Chicago. January 25th to 26th, 1898, Mrs. Edwin T. Uhl of Grand Rapids, Michigan, was elected the first President of The National Federation of Music Clubs. Nineteen members constituted the Board of Directors. The first brochure was issued setting fourth the aims of the Federation and an invitation of music clubs to become members.
The Michigan Federation of Music Clubs
In the Spring of 1916, members of The Tuesday Musicale of Detroit invited officers of the fourteen music clubs in Michigan to a meeting at the Statler Hotel. The purpose was to consider the idea of forming a “Federation of Musical Clubs in Michigan” as part of the National Federation. It was then the national policy to appoint “Vice Presidents” even in states not federated. Mrs. F.W. Nichols of Houghton was appointed to represent Michigan for 1916. The National President, Mrs. A.J. Ocsner of Chicago, was among guests at this meeting and the “Federation of Musical clubs of Michigan” was duly formed. Mrs. Nichols was elected President. Clubs represented were: Detroit, Bay City, Capac, Coldwater, Dexter, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Mount Clemens, Pontiac, Port Huron and Wayne.